Monday, March 6, 2017

Calypso at 90

Was celebration time in the Pinto family... as my Dad's younger brother scored 70. While I could not make it to the party due to prior commitments, social media (WhatsApp, in particular) ensured that we were updated with the significant happenings of the day. One thing there was plenty of at the party, was jamming up. The music clips that I received included some of the favorite Pinto songs from down the years... and some new ones as well. I spotted guitars, the ukelele and the cahon there as well. 

And among the various songs that played, I'd guess there would've been at least one, if not more, Caribbean (or should I say, Calyso) song that played at the party. Let go down to the Island In The Sun with the King of Calypso - Harry Belafonte.


Harry Belafonte celebrated his 90th birthday on March 1st. And his Calypso album was possibly the first million selling LP (long playing record) by a single artiste. And his possibly most popular song of all is about my favorite fruit... The Banana Boat Song...


Did you hear about the teacher who asked a student to spell 'banana'? The little girl stood up and responded, B-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-N-A..... The teacher interrupted her and asked her what she was doing. The little girl's reply was: "Teacher, I know the spelling... but I don't know when to stop!"

Do you know what the girl's name was... I think she was Matilda.


Or was it Angelina?


Among all the islands in the Caribbean, the best known is possibly Jamaica... One of the Harry Belafonte songs I sung in my childhood days was Jamaican Farewell.


Whether in the Caribbean or right here in Mumbai... the drink that keeps us cool is coconut water... Well, here in Mumbai, I haven't really seen any Coconut Woman.


Possibly the best tribute to the 90-year old Harry Belafonte is this compilation The Caribbean Disco Show by Lobo.


The Calypso Medley has been a staple at all our parties and even jam sessions at college and even the choir especially picnics... The dad had a special version of the song with a funny ending... and he'd have everyone in splits with this song... Man Smart, Woman Smarter...


TRUST YOU HAD A GREAT 90th BIRTHDAY 

HARRY BELAFONTE

We hope you make it to a hundred and three...


PS. By the way, there is a singer who celebrates her 100th birthday this month... Do you know who?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs