Thursday, January 19, 2017

Hello Dolly

She's just a simple Country girl... that has a Theme Park named after her...

She's also the first artist with Top 20 Hits on the Hot Country Chart in each decade since the '60s...

Say Hello to DOLLY PARTON


Had just entered college... and shown intent for participation in inter-college music competition. Was requested to meet at one of the classrooms... and when I walked into the room, a couple of my seniors were working out this duet... Islands In The Stream...


She loves duets - so she says -
"I'd love to do a duet, always wanted to work with Madonna, but she never asked."

The first time I remember hearing the name Dolly Parton was when my parents went to watch the rare movie with some of their friends... the movie was 9 to 5.


Usually a flashy dresser... when asked about her conservative attire in the movie, she replied,  
"It's really a totally different look for me … I loved the movie and I enjoyed doing it, but I couldn't wait to get out of those little suits and get into my trashy stuff."



While on looks, 
"People ask me how long it takes to do my hair and I say, 'I don't know, I'm never there.'"

In which case you may wonder how many wigs she owns,
“I don't know, I've got better things to do than count them. But I wear one every day of the week, so probably 365.”

And her image
“Now people are always asking me, What do you want people to say about you 100 years from now?' I always say I want them to say ‘Dang, don't she still look good for her age’.”

She possibly would like to be remembered as the Backwoods Barbie.



Was listening to that album and was quite surprised to find her singing this cover from the Fine Young Cannibals - Drives Me Crazy.


The biggest cover version of one of her songs is possibly also the biggest hit single for Whitney Houston - included it in my tribute to her on this blog in the post 'Whitney - A Musical Birthday Remembrance'


Talking about LOVE... 
"I love to flirt, and I've never met a man I didn't like."

But she's been married to the same man for more than 50 years (since 1966) to Carl Thomas Dean.

Just last month she was part of the Tennessee Wildfire Telethon to support people who suffered losses from the wildfires. This performance of Here You Go Again is from an earlier telethon.


2016 was a big year for Dolly Parton, since that's when she managed to get a Top Hit on the Charts for this decade. The song was one that she has a hit with back in the 1970s, but this time put together with a capella group Pentatonix - Jolene.

 
DOLLY PARTON is 71 today


And our wish for her is that she continues making great music like she has in all these many years... and a host of new collaborations like this one... Forever Country.




"My songs are the door to every dream I've ever had and every success I've ever achieved." 

HAPPY #MusicalBirthday 
DOLLY PARTON

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs