Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The Guitar Girls

Just yesterday I put up a post on Facebook with a #MusicalBirthday wish to Canadian singer guitarist Joni Mitchell.

Earlier today I posted a blogpost right here with Usha Uthup (whose birthday was also yesterday) playing the Guitar in a Sari

It seems to be a coincidence of sorts, because among the many #Musicalirthdays of today, there's another guitar wielding female rock singer, also possibly ranked the top female guitarist of all time - her name is Bonnie Raitt. Three women guitarists in two days is really Something to Talk About.


While looking for this music, I found Runaway - a song I've known but not with an attribution to her. Here is a live version from 1977. She's got a unique style of guitaring combining elements of blues, rock and R&B.


Her dad was Broadway star John Raitt, but Bonnie's artistic parents were blues giants like Howlin' Wolf and Mississippi Fred McDowell, whom she met and performed with early in her career. She plays a mean blues guitar and you can see more of it right here on Sweet Home Chicago, a collaboration in tribute to Buddy Guy. 


Among the multiple styles, she's also wandered into country. Another interesting collaboration I found out here is the most common song that we've played to start waltz sessions. Plugged it in here as a tribute to another great woman singer on her birth anniversary - Patti Page. I've included her version of a children's favorite - Doggie in the Window in an earlier post.

The tribute song here is the Tennessee Waltz performed with Norah Jones.


I trust you enjoyed that rendition as much as I did. Do remind me to do a special feature on the Top Women Guitarists. If you like the music here, do hit the Follow button and get an update whenever I add a new post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs