Friday, August 12, 2016

Money For Nothing

Just wrote a blogpost joining in the celebrations of #InternationalYouthDay today. Also got the reminder on the #MusicalBirthday for today - being among the popular artists whose songs I loved to play during my teens. 

Mark Knopfler

Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits


Mark Knopfler was popular in the late 70s and 80s as the leader of the Dire Straits - the band he co-founded with his brother David Knopfler. Among the top songs that I heard and loved at the time, also were very popular on the request show I handled on radio including:


Money For Nothing

Money For Nothing was the first video to be played on MTV Europe and starts with the line "I Want My MTV" featuring the voice of Sting who is credited as a co-writer. 




Walk Of Life

A standard on the jive list of most Mumbai bands in the 1980s, Walk Of Life was also the first keyboard solo I learnt to play.



Sultans Of Swing

A song for every guitarist, Sultans of Swing has a unique sound quality produced on the Fender Strat. My 13-year old guitarist son is working on this song nowadays.





Romeo and Juliet

A song about romance naming the most famous ever couple-in-love from Shakespearean times.


Cannibals

After disbanding Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler launched solo with Golden Heart. I particularly like this song which has a father-son conversation. 




There'll Be Some Changes Made

Among the many collaborations of Mark Knopfler is a beautiful one in the Country genre with Chet Atkins. I own the CD and cherish it. 



Dire Straits in Mumbai


There is a Dire Straits Tribute show in the Mumbai circuits by One Night Stand - a band comprising a batchmate from Podar College - Sarosh Izedyar - a leading lead guitarist who tours with the likes of Farhan Akhtar and Shaan. They played at the #BlueFrog in July and my sources indicate that they have another performance lined up next month... so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs